To purge or not to purge ?

A general forum for just about anything
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
oliver
Site Admin

To purge or not to purge ?

Postby oliver » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:57 am

cooper88

Re: To purge or not to purge ?

Postby cooper88 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:46 am

Purge away Oli,

IMO, the people who get exposed to these galleries and the shit that comes with them are GD visitors and if they get pissed off they will move away from GD (They don't really notice/care who is the uploader/imagehost and all that)

There is nothing worse than having to click twice to get an image, have 3-4 popunders and then go through that again on the next image... Fuck that shit!

And I don't see how you would be pissing off the uploaders. You are blacklisting these hosts anyway as you said so they are already pissed off... And good riddance :lol:

Purge... Kill... Delete!
gd
Ten years a perv

Postby gd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:02 pm

I vote YES!
These image hosts have a shitload of pop-ups and banners.
Or simply they are not user friendly.

I wanted to suggest this before, but now its the right time to do this - how about of pre-approved hosts only?
Like some forums have a restriction on file hosts that can be used, gallery-dump can do the same with image hosts.
Every image host which is not allowed - is banned.

This will make more comfort to the surfers.
Want more? Visit my
Doc
Moderator and Beast Killer

Postby Doc » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:29 pm

id add this one too as i can't seem to be able to get past the are you over 18 thing.

http://picstofap.tk

oliver
Site Admin

Postby oliver » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm kinda glad we're sharing the same opinion on this topic.

Allright, no objections I had failed to find, cleanup DONE.

9955 entries removed, after a last-minute addition of a new banned domain :)

I'm not in favour of an "only allowed domains" approach, it would exclude future image hosts I haven't heard of even though they are good, it would exclude personal websites, it would exclude patterns like "tumblr.com" present in lots of image names (or it would trigger nightmarish "allow tumblr.com but don't count it as a domain" situations).
Uploaders are free and, for the most of them, reasonable folks. Let's keep the website welcoming and open :thumbsup:
Edit: besides, you can never know when an old formerly reliable image host turns bad, check what imagetiger is now doing: http://www.gallery-dump.com/images/ffs-imgtiger-org.jpg

EDIT2: while we were at it, I ran a second round of removals.

Every website that was banned from gallery-dump, and still noted as such, was added to a long to-remove list.

A seven-minutes long mysql query later, using 172 ' OR ' statements, spanning across ten years of recordings, we ended with 15592 less galleries on gallery-dump.
And a site hopefully less annoying to browse, even for old entries :)
WackyTomato
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby WackyTomato » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:53 am

I would totally support this Oliver.

As a consumer and provider of galleries, those galleries are fucking annoying. I think it would make this website a better place! :)
Gallery Dump Rocks! Visit my other galleries:
WackyTomato

Postby WackyTomato » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:56 am

Gallery Dump Rocks! Visit my other galleries:
gd
Ten years a perv

Postby gd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Want more? Visit my
Doc
Moderator and Beast Killer

Postby Doc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 pm

A scrolling message would work.